Friday, September 16, 2011

Color and Figure/Ground












My understanding of the color orange when first starting this project was that it was a happy energetic color. I knew that it had the potential to be overwhelming but also when used more neutrally could create very appealing earth tones. My understanding of this color has evolved by using it as more of an accent color. I had originally thought of it as only a background to overwhelm or to be neutral. Using it as a accent can draw the eye to some specific important details, especially when combined with a deep purple blue or even against white. What I learned from this color combining project was that using colors that are similar in saturation can be useful when used in the right context. The vibration effect of the two colors I had previously thought would be something to avoid but now realize after seeing some class mates projects that it can create a powerful visual effect. Examples of this are orange and red, and yellow and white. The escalating complexity of color allowed me to explore using orange as more of an accent. I had enough other color to create the shape and could focus on the relationship and hierarchy of what I wanted viewed first.

No comments:

Post a Comment