Monday, October 17, 2011

Sol LeWitt


A few weeks ago we went to Mass MOCA to see the Sol LeWitt exhibit. I didn't really know what to expect knowing very little about his work. From class I knew that he plays with scale, creation process and color. Once I arrived at the museum and found the exhibit it was amazing. Some of the pieces would make me feel like I was going to fall over, some hurt my eyes to look at because the colors and contrasting values were so intense and others had amazing detail. It was definitely one thing to learn about his work from a book or computer screen and another to actually experience it for myself.  


This piece above reminded me of my happiness grid project. Staring at this so simple yet so complex set of squares with no two sets alike was so interesting and only the beginning of the experience. (the little girl said she would stand there to show scale)


This piece was a wall of tissue paper rolled into 1/2 inch circles I think it was. It covered 3 ginormous walls. One thing I noticed about almost all of Sol's work is his use of simple repeating colors, lots of primary when possible but used in a very powerful way.




 This might have been one of my favorite works, it literally hurt my eyes to look at it but I couldn't stop. Even looking back at this photo my eyes start to hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment