Saturday, October 15, 2011

voice



This building is the Boston Public Library on Boylston St. The corner is always very busy with people going to work, shopping, waiting for the bus or just out for a walk enjoying the area. The human traffic along with car traffic might be one of the highest volume areas in Boston. The building itself is huge, it stretches all the way down the block and is multiple floors. There is a grand entrance that I don't think is in use anymore as well as a plaza complete with steps and sculptures. It is on these steps that you will find my audience, the kids who come down in packs to skate with their friends.

My design provokes emotion from viewers in different ways, some viewers who are not skaters may feel confused in not knowing what here or not here are referring to and may try and make up their own meanings for it. Others who do know (skaters) may feel excited in seeing the huge here sign. A signal that here is a great skate spot, and feel like this is finally becoming a place for them to go/hang out.  Some people still might not even pay any attention as they walk by.

The lack of color wasn't really to much of a factor in my decision making when designing this corner. Because my audience was skaters I would have chosen black for my font color even if we had a choice, this is because it is more rebellious and commands attention whether you approve of it or not. (kind of like skating it's self).

My final typographic treatment is a little different from the assignment. I chose to put my type on the ground instead of on the wall because that is the place skateboarding happens. It also works on the ground to be a little more under cover, despite it's huge size not many people would see it initially or from very far away especially if there is heavy foot traffic and people are standing on top of it. Both of these things made putting the type on the ground a much better decision for me that on the wall. I also chose not to have anything wrap or lead you around the corner because skateboarding is probably illegal in this spot so some secrecy was needed. You need to be observant to discover the signage for yourself, both giving you the joy of discovery and trying not to lead cops right into your spot. This discretion also comes into play (although I admit not my initial intention) with the giant arrows on the building. From a distance they almost appear to be windows and to a busy worker walking by with only a half hour for lunch they would probably never see it. Finally, I have my type spilling down the stairs where you should skate. This shows the spot and also all the elements to skate on. In my future revision of this project I want to have more of the type spilling down the stairs and conform the arrow tops into more of a window look alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment